Join our mailing list to stay informed!
Posted by Revive Financial on Apr 6, 2016 12:00:00 AM

Travelling Overseas While Bankrupt

One of the terms you agree to when you declare bankruptcy is to accept certain travel restrictions. This does not mean you cannot travel overseas, it simply means you have more of a process to go through. Your bankruptcy trustee serves as the person who can give you permission to leave Australia while bankrupt.

When Can I Travel?

You’re likely to receive permission if you have been following the terms of your bankruptcy and will continue to do so while abroad. You can request permission from your trustee who will want to know information such as where you received the money to travel, when you are leaving and coming back, and your reason for travel.

When Can I NOT Travel?

If you do not have written permission from your trustee, you cannot leave the country while bankrupt. You are allowed to have a passport, but if your trustee requests it, you must hand it over.

You are unlikely to be granted permission if you have not been following the obligations of your bankruptcy, you need to help the trustee administer the bankruptcy, or the trustee has not completed the full investigation by the intended departure.

How Do I Request Permission?

You’ll need to request permission using a “Request for Permission to Travel Overseas Whilst Bankrupt” form you can obtain from your trustee. Be sure to give them plenty of notice and answer honestly. If you are granted permission, your trustee will give it to you in writing along with any conditions, which you should keep with you while abroad.

What Happens If I Don’t Ask Permission?

Travelling overseas while bankrupt without permission, or breaking any of the conditions of your permission, is an offence under the Bankruptcy Act and can be punishable by imprisonment or extended bankruptcy.

If you don’t agree with your trustee’s decision to deny travel permission, you should try to resolve it with them directly. If you’re still unhappy with the decision, you can bring your case to the Federal Circuit Court of Australia or Federal Court. Learn more about bankruptcy and situations where your home can be saved, with a consultation from one of our experienced trustees. Call 1800 534 534 or submit an enquiry.

For more information on bankruptcy, check out or bankruptcy page here


Topics: Bankruptcy, Personal Debt

How Can We Assist You Today?

Personal Debt Icon Personal
Business Debt Icon Business
Please select an assistance option to continue.

Types Of Unsecured Debts

Credit Card Icon Credit/Store Cards
Personal Loan Icon Personal Loan
Pay Day Loan Icon Pay Day Loan
Tax Debt Icon Tax Debt
Disconnected Utilities Icon Utility Bill
Other Debts Icon Other
Please select at least one type of unsecured debt.

Your Business Structure

Sole Trader Icon Sole Trader
Partnership Icon Partnership
Company Icon Pty Ltd Company
Tax Debt Icon Trust
Please select at business structure to continue.

Unsecured Debt Amount


Business Debt Amount


Take Back Control Today!

First Name

Last Name


Phone Number

Phone number must be 10-digits long and begin with a 0. (e.g. 04 1234 5678)

Post Code

Post code must be 4-digits long (e.g. 4567)

Some of your details appear incorrect.
Please update the highlighted fields and re-submit.


You’ve taken the first step to steer your business back to viability

Let’s keep the momentum going, take the second step by linking your Xero account now.


You've taken the first step to becoming debt free

Let's keep the momentum going, take the second step now and complete the assessment form.

By submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read and accept our Privacy Policy